Most people I know love lasagna. And what’s there not to like?
But since I’m gluten free and trying to stay away from gluten free pasta as well, lasagna has been off my plate for a long time. So I tried something new. This lasagna is made almost entirely of vegetables, but also has the layers and cheesy sauce with no dairy, gluten or meat. You can totally make it with meat though and it will also be very yummy.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1/2 bunch of collards (can use kale too)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cups string beans
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 small jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Soak cashews in filtered water in a bowl while doing everything else.
- Prepare “lasagna sheets” first. Cut your eggplant in quarters lengthwise. Then slice each quarter very very thin. Assemble slices side by side on a large baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes flipping them over half way.
- Prepare tomato sauce (or use your favorite one). Slice your tomatoes and jalapeno. Heat a tbsp of coconut oil on the skillet on a medium heat. arrange tomato slices and jalapeno on the pan. Fry it till it is browned, turn over and do the same on the other side. Combine contents of the pan with 1/2 tsp salt, garlic and basil in a blender. That will be your sauce.
- Prepare your veggie lasagna filling (or use cooked minced meat with onions and spices like for a regular lasagna). Chop green beans into small pieces, wash and chop collards or kale, chop onions. Cook the vegetables on the skillet until soft, add salt and desired spices.
- Last piece of the puzzle is cheese sauce. Drain and rinse cashews. Add cashews, nutritional yeast, 1/4 cup water, honey, apple cider vinegar and a pinch of salt in a blender. Blend until smooth. This is your cheese sauce.
- Assemble your lasagna. Line bottom of your lasagna sheet with eggplant slices. Top it with tomato sauce, then your veggie or meat filling, then cheese sauce, then repeat with the next layer. Top lasagna with remaining eggplant lasagna sheets and cheese sauce.
- Bake at 375F for 20-30 minutes until top is browned.
P.S. If you want more recipes from me, make sure to get my FREE 7 day detox with recipes here!