I don’t particularly love babaganoush because it has too much eggplant flavor and I don’t particularly love hummus either because it can be tough on digestion if eaten in large quantities. So, two of them made a baby and created babaganummus which I’m in love with! It is absolutely divine, has pate-like texture and can be both a dip and a spread! I love it with baby carrots and on a favorite gluten free bread or wrap! I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do!
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled
- 1 tablespoon salt (for draining eggplant)
- 3 medium heads of garlic for roasting
- 3 tbsp flax oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas
- 2 medium hot peppers
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Slice your eggplant in 1 inch pieces and place in colander. toss it with salt and let it drain for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes I usually also press it with my hands to release any additional water.
- While eggplant is draining, prepare 3 heads of garlic. Carefully cut of the top of the garlic bulb, so that most of the garlic cloves tops are cut off. Remove dry outer skin of the bulb, but keep the bulb intact. Place each bulb into a piece of foil (large enough to completely wrap around the bulb and more. Pour olive oil over each bulb and close foil on top of the bulb.
- Put eggplant slices on the baking sheet and garlic bulbs on the corners of the same sheet.
- Bake for a total of 45 minutes, turning eggplant half way through.
- Let garlic cool down and carefully remove the contents of each clove by pressing down on them, garlic will become soft and will pop out easily.
- Place all the ingredients in food processor – eggplant, roasted garlic cloves, chickpeas, hot peppers, flax oil, lemon juice, and chives.
- Process until desired consistency. I like it a bit chunky, but mostly smooth with pieces of hot peppers. You can experiment by adding hot peppers and chives at the end, so that they are not fully mushed up and give more texture to the dip.
- There you go – enjoy!
P.S. If you want more recipes from me, make sure to get my FREE 7 day detox with recipes here!