Why I do what I do?
25 things you didn’t know about me
1. My native town is in permafrost zone. Which means ground is permanently frozen solid except for few inches on the top.
2. I studied in Finland as an exchange student at the age of 19 and had the time of my life.
3. I was kinda shy and quiet growing up. I would wake up and just read a book or play quietly without waking anyone up. I hated preschool.
4. I was 17 first time when I left Russia. It was for vacation in Tunisia.
5. I don’t like eating mushrooms from early childhood. My parents and I would go picking them in the forest a lot and I saw worms in them several times, that completely turned me off. I’m trying to get back into eating them now.
6. Growing up I had a pet rat Lera who died when I was 13. She knew her name and would always run to me when being called.
7. My favorite language is Finnish.
8. I ran 2 marathons and a bunch of smaller races.
9. I love pushing my limits. I have to consciously stop myself sometimes and relax.
10. I never had a babysitter in my life. It was my mom or one of my grandmas looking after me.
11. I was born in Soviet Russia (USSR).
12. I’m very scared of all kinds of insects.
13. I have a dachshund who is named after a camera brand – Nikon.
14. I had a few canaries growing up. One pair died because I didn’t feed them for a week. I still feel horrible thinking about that.
15. I went to English school. Somehow my parents knew that I’ll need English later.
16. I have a brother who is 5 years younger than me. He lives in Saint Petersburg, Russia.
17. I didn’t know too many non-Russian bands growing up. One that I liked was Savage garden. I still think Darren Hayes is cute.
18. My favorite TV shows growing up were Brazilian soap operas.
19. My first crush was superman (Christopher Reeve) when I was 5. I thought I’d marry him one day.
20. I never tried any kind of drugs. Never. My parents told me I’d lose brain cells and I trusted them. Somehow on other aspects they weren’t as convincing.
21. My favorite TV show of all time is Friends. Nothing better has ever been invented, period.
22. I always slept with some kind of stuffed animal. I still sleep with my stuffed bunny.
23. I used to be overweight in my early twenties. And this is my passport photo from that time.
24. Sometimes when you hear me say “sheet”, it might sound like “shit” and “beach” – like “bitch”. Forgive my accent ))
25. Russian is a very hard language to learn. If I weren’t a native speaker, I would have never learnt it.